If you don't have pre-shredded meat, start 8-10 hours sooner and slow cook your drumsticks, thighs or pork shoulder in a crockpot on low with 1-2 cups of water.
This recipe uses some shredded meat that we previously cooked in a crockpot and froze into meal sized portions. Having shredded frozen meat around really helped us continue to eat well during the busy times of life. For more info on shredding your drumsticks or other meats, watch our chicken pot pie video on this page. (You may find ground pork or pulled pork shoulder works well with this dish.)
- Chopped mushrooms (1 cup or as you wish)
- 1 Chopped onion
- Chopped garlic (2-6 cloves)
- Chopped hot red pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Zest from an organic orange or meyer lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- Dollop or two of honey
- Unfiltered, unpasteruized soy sauce (to taste)
- Mirin (rice wine vinegar) (add a good splash)
- 1 cup of homemade broth
- 2-3 cups of pre-shredded meat
- Saute onions and mushrooms in butter -- use a medium stockpot on low or med-low heat
- After caramelized, add the remaining ingredients (besides the meat)
- Simmer down to the consistency you'd like.
- Puree with your immersion blender.
- Add shredded meat to the pan and stir. Taste and season as desired. Add more soy sauce if additional salt is needed.
- Serve with sauerkraut and sourdough that you've fried in butter.