This recipe was submitted by one of our members, AngieD. What a great way to add a little kick to your ground beef!
- Coconut oil
- 2 heads broccoli cut into pieces
- 3 decent sized tomatillos diced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded, and minced
- 8oz mushrooms sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ large onion diced (red or white)
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, minced
- 1lb ground beef
- ¼ cup brown sugar, or a little less
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Heavy sprinkle of sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 cups rice
- Start making the rice
- Chop veggies and mushrooms and set aside (can be prepped ahead of time)
- Melt coconut oil in heavy skillet, add broccoli, mushrooms, tomatillos and peppers and fry on medium heat. Cover to allow the vegetables to steam until done, about 5-7 minutes
- Ditch the vegetables into a large bowl
- Add some more oil to the pan and fry onion on medium heat until starting to caramelize
- Add the ground beef, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the beef is lightly pink.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a little pepper
- Lower heat and simmer a bit, then add the bowl of vegetables.
- Serve over rice, garnish with green onions and extra sesame oil
Notes: We substituted tomatillos for red bell peppers, but either work just fine in the dish.