To shred chicken, place frozen chicken (legs or thighs are best) in a crock pot with 1 C of water. Cook on low all day and then pull the meat off of the bone, discard skin and anything else you don’t want in your pot pie – this will taste much better than boneless breasts! Put the bones back into the crockpot and make broth for next time.
(Jump ahead to 6:54 in the video if you just want to learn more about shredding chicken!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter an 11x17” glass baking dish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over med heat.
- Sauté the shallots and garlic for 30-40 seconds or until they begin to soften and smell fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 min, stirring continually.
- Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, rosemary, salt an pepper.
- Simmer for 5 min.
- Stir in the chicken and peas, then simmer for 3 min.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry into a 13x9” rectangle.
- Drape over the baking dish, gently pressing the pastry where it touches the rim of the dish.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove and let sit for 10 min before serving.