We love vegetarian meals. Rice isn’t something we should eat all the time for a wide range of reasons, but there nothing like a REAL risotto with Arborio rice. Strictly speaking this dish isn’t vegetarian since a homemade broth is essential to the flavor. The broth also adds electrolytes and helps cushion the onslaught of carbs the rice throws at us.
This meal takes time to do it right, but it is easy. Just get a glass of wine and have a nice conversation.
- 1 butternut squash (or other sweet squash variety)
- 5-7 cups of broth (read our article about how and why to make your own )
- Olive oil
- 2 C diced onion, leek or shallot (shallots will be sweeter, leeks have a mild unique flavor. Try both?)
- 2 C short grain rice (Arborio). This will not work with a long grain or brown rice
- 1 C white wine – we used a Minnesota mead (honey wine) that gave a great sweetness to the dish
- 8-12 oz dried mushrooms – rehydrate in a cup or so of hot water, then slice.
- 3 T butter