- Mix chicken, ginger garlic paste, salt, chili powder, and coriander powder by hand in a bowl. Let sit for 15 mins (or refrigerate up to overnight)
- Saute seasoned chicken in tall saucepan with some oil over medium-high heat. Remove chicken, leaving residual bits and oil in pan.
- Add onions and ginger garlic paste; saute until onions are translucent.
- Continuing with medium heat on onion mixture, add coriander powder, cashews, chili powder, crushed fenugreek leaves (optional), thai chiles (optional), chopped tomatoes, and cumin seeds.
- Add water (if needed) so that most of it is immersed. Cover, simmer at least 20 min (up to 2 hrs for more flavor).
- Blend sauce into a gravy using an immersion blender, stand mixer, or blender.
- Add butter, melt and stir. Add chicken to the sauce.
- Add salt and sugar to taste - this is important! Tweaking with salt & sugar is crucial to hit the right flavor. Simmer another 5-10 min.
- Add cream.
- Serve over rice.
Buying bottled ginger garlic paste literally changed our lives (but of course you can use minced garlic and hand-chop ginger root).
Fenugreek leaves are also known by the name Kasthuri Methi. You may need to shop at your local South Asian grocery store. We shop at Poornanand Foods in Eden Prairie.