Cabbage and bacon are a match made in heaven, honestly most things pair well with bacon. This bacon recipe is a salad so we can all pretend it’s really, very healthy.
If you want to up the health factor, use our no-sugar herb bacon and add raw shaved carrots as well as some chopped snow peas to add a crunch and natural sweetness to the dish.
- 1 Napa cabbage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (6 to 8 cups) (can use any cabbage)
- 8 thick slices bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (red wine or cider)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Fry the bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat. Once the bacon is cooked to your desired texture, remove it from the pan and set it to the side. Save about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan, the rest can be poured off into a bowl and saved for eggs or as a base oil for making popcorn.
- Now over medium low heat and add flour, stir until smooth (you are making a bacon-roux and you should use this to make gravy sometime)– for this recipe it is the base of a salad dressing and you should plan to stir for about a minute or two.
- Add vinegar, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- VERY slowly whisk this mixture into a small bowl containing the lightly beaten egg.
- Add chopped cabbage to a serving bowl, sprinkle with bacon and pour 3 / 4 of the dressing over the cabbage and mix. Add more dressing if desired!
- Goes great with grilled TC Farm porkchops and potatoes
Diane & Joel Erickson:
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:15 PM
I love this recipe! I added some green onions to mine.
Add a Comment
Add a Comment