This stew was made famous by Allison Roman and what makes it so great is that it anyone can put their own spin on it. You can make it totally vegan, add a little more ginger or red pepper flakes for an extra kick and use up whatever green you have wilting in the fridge to really make it your own!
1. In a large pot over medium heat sauté garlic, onion, ginger, salt, pepper until onion is translucent, 3-5 minutes.
2. Add turmeric, red pepper flakes, chickpeas and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the chickpeas to fry in the spices until browned, 8-10 minutes. Set aside a cup of chickpeas to use as garnish.
3. Crush the remaining chickpeas a bit with a spoon or spatula to help thicken the stew. Add coconut mill and stock.
4. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the stew has achieved your desired thickness.
5. Add greens and cook until wilted. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
6. When serving top with the reserved chickpeas, optional garnishes and rice!