- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound organic sweet Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta; transfer to large bowl. While the water is starting to boil:
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 7 minutes.
- Drain any excess drippings from skillet. Add wine to skillet and boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring sauce to simmer. Pour sauce over pasta. Add 3/4 cup cheese and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley.
**even better as leftovers!**
Add a Comment
Add a Comment