Cooking With Kabocha Squash
Kabocha squash and other winter squashes like pumpkin, butternut squash, or acorn squash. can be used interchangeably in recipes. The skin is edible so roast it, simmer it, puree it, bake it, fry it, or slow-cook it to your hearts content.
- Wash and thoroughly dry your squash – even if you don’t plan on eating the skin.
- Transfer the squash to the microwave. Microwave for 2-4 minutes – just long enough to make it soft enough to cut easily!
- Transfer your softened squash to a large cutting board. Carefully slice from the stem to the base using a sharp knife.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy bits.
- Clean and save the seeds for toasting.
- Now the squash can be roasted as two halves, cut into slices or into cubes for even faster cooking.